Thursday, February 4, 2016

ONE THING I ASK OF THE LORD

 


Psalm 27

This morning I was meditating on Psalm 27.  The psalmist compares the power of God and the protection God gives him to the attacks his enemies bring against him.  He speaks of the comforts God offers and shares the desires of his own heart.  We can read this psalm historically; i.e. we can see how David felt and acted when he was under attack.  We can also read this psalm instructionally; i.e. how God’s people can feel protected in the face of persecution.  This morning I read Psalm 27 spiritually; i.e. I have a spiritual Enemy who is constantly plotting against me, seeking to bring me down, and trying to keep me from rejoicing in my God.  As I meditated on the psalm I focused my attention on specific nouns and verbs.  I considered the words that relate to God’s actions toward me, his child and compared them to the words that describe my Enemy’s efforts against me.  Then I thought about how these truths work in my heart and bring about the kind of joy and celebration that honors God.  If you have time, open your Bible to Psalm 27 and follow along.

Verses 1-3.  God is Light, Salvation, Stronghold.  Since this is true I need not fear the Enemy.  My Enemy advances against me, seeks to devour, attacks, besieges, and makes war.  God makes them stumble and fall so I have no fear and I have reason to be confident in God.  He shines his light into the darkness that surrounds the Enemy so I can see my way.  He reaches down and surrounds me with his salvation so I cannot be harmed and then brings me into his stronghold where no enemy can reach me.  At one time the warfare that raged around me caused me to stumble and fall but now I see God’s light and the enemies are the ones who break themselves against the walls of his holy stronghold!  Confidence comes from feeling God’s strength and protection, not my own!

Verses 4-6.  In light of what God does for me I ask God for the following:  may I dwell, gaze, and seek.  These are words of relationship and communion.  It helps me to think of these things as they relate to human relationships.  When I began to love my wife I wanted to be with her, and look into her eyes, and seek a deeper love and commitment.  Most of my children have moved out of my house and I can hardly wait for the times they come to visit so I can be with them and enjoy them and build fresh relationships with them.  So it is with the God who loves me.  I want to be with him and stand in wonder of his glory and seek to know him better.

That kind of relationship changes my perspective on the times of trouble (v.5).  He keeps me safe, hides me, and sets me above danger.  When my grandson comes to visit, sometimes our dogs crowd around him and because he is so little and such a new walker I have to sweep him up in my arms so he won’t be overwhelmed and trampled.  I keep him above the fray of the excited dogs.  This is the picture I have of God lifting me above the destruction of the Enemy.  He keeps my head above the confusion and the danger of the Enemy’s attacks (v. 6).

All of this leads to worship (v. 6).  Sacrifice, shouts of joy, singing, and music.  Everything God does for me is meant to lead me to acts of worship that bring glory to him.  I want to be careful not to stop short of worship because that is why God redeemed me in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment