Friday, April 13, 2012

THE WHISPER OF GOD



1 Kings 19
 After God sent fire on Elijah’s sacrifice on Mount Carmel the people fell on their faces and worshiped God.  Elijah called on the people to destroy the prophets of Baal and the people obeyed him and put them all to death.  Then Elijah turned to Ahab and warned him that the drought was about to end so he should hurry home before the storm broke. 

Then in chapter 19 we find him back at home whining to Jezebel that Elijah had killed all their prophets.  Infuriated, Jezebel sent a message to Elijah; “may the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them” (1 Kings 19:2).  And here is where we find that Elijah was not superhuman.  He was a person just like us.  “Elijah was afraid and ran for his life” (19:3).

I am sitting comfortably at my desk in front of my picture window reflecting on Elijah’s behavior.  It’s just so easy to judge him!  It’s so easy to forget the humanity of one of the greatest of God’s prophets.  He felt just like any of us would feel if we were threatened by a person who had the power to take our lives!  So he ran. 

He ran a long way.  He ended up in the wilderness outside of Beersheba.  He sat down under a tree and said, “I have had enough, LORD.  Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors” (19:4).  Have you ever felt that way?  Have you ever felt like you were at the end of your rope and couldn’t go on anymore?  Have you ever felt like nobody else could possibly understand what you’ve been through?  I have.  I’ve never asked God to take my life but I’ve told him that I just couldn’t go on anymore.  I felt so alone and so tired.  I didn’t think I could take anymore and I just complained to God.
Well, the angel of the LORD provided a couple of meals for Elijah and told him he had a long journey ahead of him.  God gave Elijah new strength and he traveled forty days and nights until he arrived at Mount Horeb.  He entered a cave and slept.  But God was there in that cave too!  “What are you doing here, Elijah?” (19:9). Again Elijah complains to God.  “I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty.  The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword.  I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too” (19:10).

So God sent Elijah out onto the mountain “for the LORD is about to pass by.”  A great wind blew parts of the mountain to pieces but God was not in the wind.  Then there was an earthquake but God was not in the earthquake.  After that, a fire, but God was not in the fire either.  “And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave” (19:12, 13).

So I am rightly amazed.  Elijah fears even though he had just seen God’s power on Mount Carmel.  Elijah flees from Jezebel even though God had crushed the prophets of Baal.  Instead of being strengthened by the power encounter he had become exhausted and terrified.  And how does God treat Elijah?  Does he rebuke him?  No, God strengthens his servant and enables him to complete his ministry.

Sometimes we think, “If only God would do the same kinds of miracles he did in the Bible!  If only God would demonstrate his great power and convince the world that he alone is God!  We could use a biblical storm or earthquake or fire.  If God would do this, I would be so encouraged!”  But where is God?  In the gentle whisper!  I have to stop and listen for the gentle whisper of the Lord!  I have to be still and quiet.  God does not want to exhaust me.  He doesn’t want to push me beyond my endurance.  Rather, he wants me to be still and know that he is God!  Listen for the gentle whisper of the Lord and feel the comfort and strength of our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment