Friday, January 21, 2011

GLORIFY YOUR NAME!

John 12:27, 28   27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!”  Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.”

Let’s consider our attitudes toward hardship and suffering.  Does the anticipation or existence of troubles cause me to want to rebel against God and turn in another direction?

When Abram encountered famine in Canaan he stopped calling upon the name of the Lord, changed direction, left Canaan, and without seeking God’s guidance, went down to Egypt where he encountered more trouble and bought more future problems than he ever could have imagined!  When there is hardship in my life do I change direction?  Do I move away from God?  Do I immediately call upon God to deliver me from my trouble?  Do I simply assume it is God’s responsibility and his will to deliver me?

In John 12 Jesus shows how his followers are supposed to deal with suffering.  His heart is troubled.  He knows what awaits him there in Jerusalem.  It is impossible for a human being to identify with the battle in which Jesus was engaged.  Yet he says, “What shall I say?  Father, save me from this hour?  No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.  Father, glorify your name.”

Jesus walked so closely with his Father that he knew exactly why he had come to Jerusalem.  He was able to trust his Father and be confident that the Father’s hand was upon him.  He was able to see that his suffering was not something that happened to him apart from God’s providence.  Instead, it was God’s providence and the purpose of this painful providence was to bring glory to God!

May this be our prayer at all times:  “Father, glorify your name!”  This is one prayer we can be sure God will answer affirmatively.

1 comment: